Congratulations Class of 2018!

Nur Aksamija, Staff Writer

On June 1st, 7:00 PM, the class of 2018 marched into the gymnasium in their blue and yellow graduation robes. Valedictorian Sydney Scott started the night off with a wonderful welcoming address, highlighting the kindness the class has shown her here at Hopkins. Ryan Phillips also made a compelling address appreciating all the wonderful qualities shared by the class of 2018. Their persistence and skepticism was acknowledged by many of the speakers, including in the address to graduates by Mrs. Roberts.

After the welcoming address, Mr. Beck, the principle, handed out this year’s awards, then the Trustee awards were given. William Dwyer of the Trustee board, noted how this year they handed out even more scholarships than prior years–over $20,000. After the awards were handed out, Mrs. Roberts gave an inspirational address to the graduates. Not only was she one of their class advisors, she also shared a very close bond with the class of 2018, as she started teaching the same year they were 7th graders, she wonderfully explained in her speech.  

Next, the Distinguished Alumni Award was presented to Fred Ciaglo, who has been an important member of the school community for a long time now. He is not only a coach to many of the students, but was also a teacher as well. After he received his award, the Honorary Alumni award was given to Sharon Parsons, who used to be a teacher here at Hopkins Academy. Her lovely speech touched upon all the amazing traits shared by the class of 2018.

Finally, Eric Belton, class president, gave his farewell address, which featured a great mix of humor and memory. The graduates tossed their hats into the air, marking the end of graduation with a performance of Hail, Hopkins, Hail by the band. With the class flower of a white rose in hand, the class of 2018 marched out to “Home Sweet Home” by Mötly Crüe, marking the end of a rigorating and memorable 6 years.

Sydney Scott (Valedictorian) and Ryan Phillips (Salutatorian)
The graduates tossing their caps at the end of their graduation ceremony.
Class speaker Lyndsey Roberts (center) with some of her former student athletes whom she coached in soccer (Juliette Cook, Leah Picard, Miranda Pitta, Hannah Berard, Margaret Michalak, and Isabel Flynn).