Catching up on Spring Sports

April Camuso

Jonathan Morrison pitching against Turners Falls on 5/19. Winning 9-2, Hopkins gains a spot in tournament.

Catherine Kowal-Saffron, Writer

Both the varsity softball and baseball teams are having good seasons so far. The softball team has a record of 3-11 and is currently eighth in the Franklin League, with a League record of 0-10. The baseball team, who is right now 5-7, is currently fourth in the Hampshire West League and has a League record of 2-3.

As mentioned before the softball team is doing well, but is certainly being challenged. They are currently 3-11 after defeating Smith Voc. twice (12-6, 28-16), and Franklin Tech. Unfortunately, they fell short to Mohawk twice (19-5, 8-5), Mahar twice (13-6, 8-9), Pioneer Valley twice (18-4,10-2), Easthampton (2-15), Turners Falls (0-12), Athol (23-11), Frontier (12-4), and Greenfield (0-14). So far, eighth grader Ally Markowski has the highest slugging percentage with 0.622%, and freshman Maegan Quinlan has the second highest at 0.6%. As for the number of runs scored, eighth grader Macy Ring has nineteen and other eighth grader Ally Markowski has seventeen. Looking ahead, the team is going to face Turners Falls, Athol, Greenfield, Athol, and Frontier. The team hopes to rise in the Franklin League as they are currently in eighth place with a record of 0-10.  

The varsity baseball team is having a stronger season than softball, with a record of 5-7.  They achieved this record by defeating Belchertown twice (6-2,6-2), Smith Academy (1-0), Easthampton (10-3), Pioneer Valley (9-2), and Greenfield (6-2),  but unfortunately fell short to Athol (1-3), St. Mary (2-0), Mahar (3-18), Turners Falls (3-5), Frontier (1-0), South Hadley (11-0) and Mohawk (14-9). So far, junior Jon Morrison has the highest slugging percentage with 0.581 % and freshman Noah Scanlon-Dean has the second highest with 0.543 %. As for the number of runs scored, freshman Noah Scanlon-Dean has the most with eight, and juniors Nate Kelley and Jon Morrison come shortly behind Noah with seven. Looking ahead, the Golden Hawks will face Greenfield twice, Frontier, South Hadley, Turners Falls, and Belchertown. Eyeing the tournament, the team hopes to better their position in the Hampshire West League as they are currently in fifth place with a league record of 1-3.
Good luck with the rest of both the softball and baseball teams season!