Food For Thought: Issues of Gender Luncheon Series

Felicia Fil, Staff Writer

Every year, the month of March is dedicated to Women’s History Month. In particular, March 8th is International Women’s Day, which is dedicated to honoring the contributions and outstanding work of women, both living and dead. International Women’s Day invites people from all walks of life to recognize the role that women have played in shaping a more egalitarian society, as well as working to secure women’s rights. For the past three years, the Hopkins Academy Diversity Club has been hosting an Issues of Gender Luncheon Series. Mary Kate Farnham, senior and President of Diversity Club, outlines the goals of the luncheons, “One of our main goals is for students to take away new information and start conversations around school about these issues.” Farnham explains that everyone should attend these luncheons because the topics discussed apply to all young people, not just women. She shares that it is a unique time to share experiences, engage in conversation, or simply listen to new ideas. Mary Kate informed me that the “student involvement and the overall goal of celebrating different ethnicities and cultures at Hopkins Academy” is what drew her to join Diversity Club in her sophomore year. These luncheons will take place every Thursday during high school lunch in Ms. Lanham’s room.Topics will include issues such as Women In Athletics, Sexual Harassment on College Campuses, and Pay Gap and Family Issues. Everyone is welcome to come and join in the conversation, and the Diversity Club hopes to see you there!