Hopkins Mock Trial in the Elite 8

Hopkins Academy Mock Trial Team 2018-2019

Catherine Kowal-Safron, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time in school history, the Hopkins Academy Mock Trial Team has advanced to the Elite 8 Mock Trial Competition after defeating both Lenox and Malden High Schools in the Regional Competition on March 3rd in Worcester. After advancing to the second round with a bye, the team defeated Malden High School 103-95.

When asked about the team’s recent achievement, Mock Trial member Davide Rotunno said: “This is of course a monumental feat for the team and for Hopkins Academy. It’s always a good feeling to know that you’ve made history for your school.”

The team made history both this year, and during the 2017-2018 Mock Trial season. Last year, the team became the first in Hopkins Academy history to advance to the regional competition. This year they defended their title to win this year for the second time.

The team however is not planning on stopping here. Not only do they hope do well in the Elite 8 competition, but they also wish to advance into the next rounds, that being the Final Four and Final Two. When they arrive in Boston at 8 a.m, there will be a total of seven teams throughout Massachusetts that they might play: Newton South High School (last year’s runner-up), Franklin High School, Maimonides High School, Gann Academy, The Winsor School, Holy Name Central Catholic High School, and the Boston Latin School. The team will not find out which team they will be playing until they get to the competition until they get there, as it is randomized.

In terms of how the team is preparing for next week, Rotunno says that the team is going to be practicing frequently and making sure that everybody has their parts memorized.

Good luck to the team next week! The entire Hopkins community is rooting for you!